This recipe is super simple, and it’s it’s the same recipe I’ve used for years! The best part is that it’s easy to adapt it for 3 cupcakes, 6 cupcakes, or a single or double layer sponge cake, all you have to do is change the amount of eggs used (1, 2, 3, or 4 respectively), et voila!
(Makes 6 cupcakes)
• 2 medium sized eggs, weigh these in their shell, use this weight and measure out these-
• Room temperature unsalted butter
• Caster sugar
• Self raising flour
• 1 tsp Vanilla extract
• Preheat your oven to 200°c, 180°c fan.
• Add 6 cupcake cases to a muffin tray (deeper than a cupcake tray, and far better!)
• In a large mixing bowl, ‘cream’ butter + sugar together until lighter in colour and sugar is dissolved.
• Add eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each one
• Gradually add flour, mix well to incorporate
• Finally, add the vanilla extract, and give one final mix through.
• Divide evenly between your cake cases (fill 3/4 of each case. As eggs, trays, and cases differ in size you may ended up with a few extra cakes!) and bake in the centre of your oven for 20 mins, or until golden, and springy in the middle, or until a skewer poked into the middle comes out clean. If you are using a fan assisted oven, turn your tray around after 10 minutes, to ensure an even bake.
• Remove from the oven, and allow to cool completely before decorating!
Last time we made cupcakes, it was Easter time, so we dropped ours into muffin wrappers, removed the core of our cakes, and added a little lemon curd before replacing the core and decorating!
Have fun & enjoy! 💛