If you are serving a Mexican recipe, Chips & Guacamole are an essential side dish. The fresh ingredients and seasoning blend in this guacamole will have you coming back for more and more. The recipe was created to serve the masses but my guess is leftovers won’t be much of a problem.
Guacamole is so good for you! When you can make it tasty by using our recipe and serving it with chips, your family will be scarfing down powerhouse ingredients like it’s their job.
- Chips – Try to find tortilla chips that are MSG-free, additive-free, and Trans Fat-free. I have been loving blue corn chips lately!
- Jalapeño – Don’t worry, it’s seeded and finely minced. I omit this when I know my kids will be eating the guac though.
- Red onion
- Minced garlic
- Cilantro – could sub parsley but cilantro is much better in my opinion
- Lime Juice
- Salt, Pepper, and Cumin
- Cherry tomatoes
Chips and Guacamole: Perfect for Groups!
As mentioned above, this recipe is a bit larger than most you’ll find on the internet. Yes, it calls for 8 avocados. I have found this to be the perfect amount to take to gatherings or when I feed groups of people.
It’s a recipe most are familiar with and almost all ages enjoy. You can also set out some fresh veggies to serve alongside the chips and guacamole if you want.
What Goes Well with Chips and Guacamole?
It feels silly to state the obvious but serve chips and guac with Mexican dishes! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
Can You Freeze Guacamole?
It’s no secret we are big fans of freezer meals around here. In fact, we have 2 freezer meal cookbooks, 1 Hour Freezer Prep Sessions, and even a round-up with 70+ freezer meal recipes that you will love!
We have tested all sorts of recipes in the freezer, Guacamole included.
Can you freeze guacamole? Yes, but we don’t recommend it. Through the freezing and thawing process, the ingredients release a lot of liquid. The texture changes quite a bit.
That being said, it technically will work if you’re really wanting to freeze it. The flavor will still be good! Just know it won’t return to its original state.Print
Want to impress your guests at your next gathering? Serve this guacamole with all natural ingredients and you’ll have some really happy friends and family.
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely minced
- 1/2 diced red onion (about 1/2 onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 8 avocados
- Juice of 3 limes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- In a large bowl, add jalapeño, onion, garlic cloves, and parsley.
- Cut avocados lengthwise, remove pits, and dig out flesh with a spoon. Add to bowl.
- Squeeze lime juice over the top of avocados.
- Add salt, pepper, and cumin to bowl.
- Use a potato masher to mash avocados to desired consistency.
- Test seasoning and add more salt or pepper as needed.
- Add tomatoes and stir with a spoon to make sure all contents are well combined. Serve immediately.
If not eating right away, place plastic wrap on top of the surface of the guacamole and put it in the fridge to slow oxidation.
You can also put the avocado pit in the guacamole to slow the browning.