All the goodness of a burrito bowl made at home!
My first experience with burritos that I remember clearly was at a local amusement park. There was a restaurant that served burritos and they quickly grew on me. The love of burritos grew more when I went to college there were fast food restaurants nearby that served customizable burritos. Also, as I was attending college, a burrito place opened up on campus which was a frequent stop between classes and homework. Soon after college I wanted to learn how to do it myself as it’s a good meal to have for lunch or dinner.
For this recipe I am using chicken, but shredded pork or beef is good too. Tofu is good substitute for meat.
Making a fresh burrito bowl from scratch can be a long process but making them at home is rewarding and it can be customized to fit anyone’s need. Paprika and a little cayenne pepper is nice on the chicken, but a variety of different spices can work. I don’t really like spicy food but adding sour cream takes out the heat.
This recipe makes about four to five burrito bowls.
For the shredded chicken:
- Two chicken breasts
- Water, enough to cover chicken
- Roughly chopped carrots or baby carrots
- Roughly chopped onions
- Roughly chopped celery
- Half a lemon
- Black Peppercorns
- One clove of garlic, cut in half
- Paprika, to taste (optional)
- Cayenne pepper, to taste (optional)
For the rice:
- Two cups of water
- One cup of rice
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped cilantro, to taste
- Half of a lime
- Sour cream
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a crockpot or slow cooker, place all the ingredients for the chicken in and turn on to your desired cook and time setting.
- While the chicken is cooking, take the time to prepare other ingredients as necessary. Chop the cilantro, shred the cheese, etc.
- About an hour before the chicken is done in the slow cooker. Pour two cups of water into a wok pan and let it come to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add salt (to taste) and add a cup of rice. Place the lid on the wok letting no steam escape and turn down the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 45 minutes.
- Once the rice is done, pour into a bowl and mix in chopped cilantro and the juice from half a lime.
- Once chicken is finished cooking, take out the breasts and place them into a bowl and shred with two forks.
- Season the shredded chicken with salt, black pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Put rice in a serving bowl.
- Add in chicken and toppings.