Talk about a fast and easy game changing breakfast, lunch, or snack: enter the healthy and delicious egg, cheese, and black bean quesadilla breakfast recipe - made with tortillas, greens, salsa, and any favorite fillings. Eat in 5 minutes!
At the basis of this tortilla and egg breakfast quesadilla / wrap are some wilted greens (arugula or spinach) for health and an egg cracked and dropped into the greens. Then the tortilla is laid on top of the egg and smashed down into it to cover it all over.
It's basically an egg, bean, and cheese tortilla sandwich or warm egg taco. Others call these egg and tortilla wraps, egg tortilla hack, tortilla eggroll, or tortilla breakfast wrap.
How To Make An Egg Tortilla Breakfast Quesadilla
Bring an 8" or 10" skillet to medium high heat and add a little oil. Add greens and a wee bit of salt and cook until wilted.
No mixing bowl is necessary, simply crack the egg directly in the middle of the pan in the center of the wilted greens.
Lay the tortilla on top and smash the egg while rotating the tortilla to get it covered all over by the smashed egg. Cook for ~ 1 minute or until egg and greens stick to the tortilla.
Then the egg and tortilla wrap is flipped over (with tongs or a spatula) and the other (empty) side is filled with strained black beans, cheese, and salsa.
The egg and tortilla quesadilla are cooked for ~ 1 minute more or until the outside browns perfectly and has a beautiful crunch.
On The Go Breakfast Quesadilla Recipe
This fast and easy breakfast, brunch, snack, or lunch egg and tortilla wrap is a go to recipe for getting something healthy into your tummy fast.
Confession: I LOVE egg and tortilla wraps. They are so fast, healthy, easy, and versatile. But also, they travel well!
Not ready to eat yet? Cool the quesadilla uncovered on a plate in the refrigerator. Wrap the breakfast quesadilla in aluminum foil.
We take this easy quesadilla recipe on planes, car trips, picnics, to the beach, and on hiking trips.
Fillings for An Egg Quesadilla Recipe include:
- More protein - beans, ham, bacon, prosciutto, leftover ground beef or chicken. Use two eggs instead of one. Use your favorite beans: kidney, black, pinto, garbanzo beans.
- Greens - easy packaged spinach or arugula come to mind because they cook very fast. Kale, swiss chard, or collards would be excellent.
- Herbs - a pinch of thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, etc.
- Spice it up with cayenne pepper, hot sauce, salsa, or sambal olek or sriracha
- Vegetables - keep your egg quesadilla healthy by adding peppers, tomatoes, or mushrooms.
- Cheese - Colby jack is my favorite for melting, but any cheese will work: cheddar, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, goat cheese, sour cream, etc...
- Avocado, Guacamole
Troubleshooting Egg Tortilla Breakfast Quesadillas
Wraps not brown on the outside? Be patient kemosahbee. The egg wrap probably just needs more time cooking. If all else fails, turn up the heat and add a little butter. Butter browns fast and burns even faster, so watch it carefully.
Soggy egg tortilla wrap? Make sure to strain the filling ingredients of any liquid. For example, black beans need to be strained and also a runny salsa may need to be strained.
Having trouble flipping the egg quesadilla? Get zen. You got this! Use tongs or a spatula. If all else fails, remove the egg tortilla pan from the heat, let it cool a bit and grab it carefully with your fingers.
Egg Tortilla Breakfast Quesadilla Wraps FAQ
Anything you want, but you have to be able to close it. Dry ingredients definitely work better for tortilla wraps, so strain beans and thin salsas. Some ideas are ham, bacon, beans, eggs, herbs, greens, salsa, hot sauces, or vegetables.
Things In My Kitchen:
- 8" nonstick skillet from Tramontina - PFOA free nonstick skillet, oven safe to 400F, dishwasher safe, heavy duty.
- Basic No-frill Tongs - set of 2 - 9" and 12"
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.Print
Easy Egg and Cheese Tortilla / Quesadilla
This healthy & easy egg and cheese quesadilla breakfast recipe is made w/ tortillas, salsa, & black beans. Game changing fast (5 min) recipe!
- Author: Beckie
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 1
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: International
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8" flour tortilla
- 1 cup greens (spinach or arugula)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup black beans, strained
- ⅓ cup colby jack cheese
- ⅓ cup salsa
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- Bring an 8-10" skillet to medium high heat. When warm add a little bit of olive oil (~ 2 tsp).
- Add greens (spinach or arugula) and a pinch of salt and cook ~15 seconds or until greens wilt but are still vibrant in color.
- Add one egg and salt and pepper the egg.
- Smash an 8" tortilla into the pan and move it around so the egg and greens coats the bottom side. Cook for ~ 1 minute or until egg is cooked through.
- Flip tortilla and add black beans, cheese, and salsa to the middle and more towards one side since it will be folded in half.
- Cook ~ 1 - 1 ½ minutes or until the tortilla is lightly browned. Fold in half.
- Viola! Tortilla egg, cheese, and bean quesadilla or as I prefer to call warm taco :). Happy eating! Beckie
- Use a corn tortilla if preferred.
- 2 eggs also works!
- Omit greens for kid friendly 🙂
- Substitute your favorite beans, cheeses, spices, or fillings.
- Fillings are only limited by the size of the tortilla.
- Add spices like cayenne, chili powder, cumin, oregano, or chili flakes.
Keywords: Quesadillo, Taco, Fast Dinner, Fast Snack, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Eggs, Tortilla, Cheese, Beans, Vegetarian, Fast Recipes, Easy Recipes
You May Also Like
The post Easy Egg Tortilla Breakfast Quesadilla appeared first on Eat Simple Food.
Leave a comment