Stop spending a fortune on Margaritas when youre out! Bring the party IN this weekend with homemade margaritas! Its as easy as 1-2-3: 1 part Cointreau, 2 parts lime juice, 3 parts tequila. Shake, pour, sip!
If, like me, it makes you ill thinking how much youve spent on cocktails in your lifetime, its time to get onto the band wagon of making margaritas at home! Ridiculously easy, its a party starter thats fresh and zingy with just enough sweet, and certainly with agood kick of alcohol thats going to get you buzzing in no time!
What goes in Margaritas
Heres what you need its easy as 1-2-3:
- 1 part Cointreau (or other triple sec)
- 2 parts lime juice
- 3 parts tequila
(With parts being anything from a shot glass, a tablespoon, a mug or a bottle just use the same measuring vehicle for each ingredient!)
No sugar! Cointreau is sweet enough as it is and proper margaritas aremeant to be fresh and zingy, not crazy sweet!
Whats Triple Sec?
Triple Sec is an orange flavoured alcoholic syrup. The most well known brand is Cointreau which is made in France. Triple Sec brands vary in sweetness and intensity / quality of orange flavour. Cointreau is less sweet than most, with a better orange flavour.
Skinny Margaritas are all the rage nowadays and compared to the outrageously sugary margaritas that some places serve, they are much lower in calories. Its made with orange juice and agave syrup instead of Cointreau.
But heres what they dont tell you Skinny Margaritas only have 15 calories less than classic margaritasmade properly with no added sugar.
So, heres what you need for the Skinny version and Ive included the quantities in the recipe card below. Its a tasty alternative, but I personally dont make it as a lower cal alternative of classic Margaritas!
Both normal and skinny Margaritas can be served in any type of glass, but for the sake of distinguishing between them, here is the Skinny version in a tumbler, served with ice.
When to serveMargaritas and what to serve it with!
Theyre dangerously drinkable fresh and zingy rather than ridiculously sweet which means you dont get sugared out, you can literally drink them all night. You cant taste the alcohol but they are pretty darn potent!
Plus, theyre easy to make in big batch quantities just mix up a jug and keep it in the fridge to pour on demand. Nowthats a way to keep the party going!! Nagi x
Watch how to make it
Margaritas (plus SKINNY margaritas!)
Recipe video above. Classic margarita! Fresh and zingy with just a touch of sweet. Crazy sugary margaritas are just wrong!!! Use recipe SCALER to make a big jug. Bonus Skinny Margarita version provided but NOTE if you make classic margaritas the propery way (per this recipe), they only have 15 calories more than Skinny Margaritas!
- 45 ml / 1.5oz tequila
- 30 ml / 1 oz lime juice
- 15 ml/ 0.5 oz Cointreau ((or other Triple Sec) (Note 1))
- 60 ml/ 2oz tequila
- 45 ml / 1.5 oz lime juice
- 30 ml / 1 oz orange juice
- 1 tsp light agave nectar ((Note 2))
For serving / salt rim:
- 1 lime wedge (, plus extra for serving)
- 1/4 cup coarse salt
- Chill glasses in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Place salt in small dish.
- Rub rim lightly with lime wedge, then press rim down into salt.
Margarita (both versions):
- Place ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice, shake 15 times to chill well.
- Strain into cocktail glass or tumbler. Ice in glass is optional.
1. Triple sec is an orange flavoured liquor. The most popular brand is Cointreau.
2. Agave nectar is a natural sweetener with lower calories than sugar and other liquid sweet things like honey (it has about half the calories or honey). Nowadays can be found in large supermarkets (Australia: Coles/Woolies/Harris).
3. Big batch make in jug and keep in the fridge. Dont use ice they will melt and dilute the flavour. Or use non-melting ice options like reusable ice cubes (artificial ice cubes).
4. Nutrition for classic Margarita. Skinny Margarita 148 calories with 11g carbs, it has more carbs because of the sugar in the orange juice!
Life of Dozer
Dozer taking on the (little) waves!