This easy Navajo Fry Bread Recipe makes a delicious fry bread that can be used to make Navajo Tacos, also called Indian Tacos and a variety of other foods. We like to make the tacos, but sometimes the kids just like to eat the fry bread with honey. Either way they are delicious!
This easy Indian fry bread recipe makes a wonderfully delicious fry bread, which you can eat by itself, eat with honey as a dessert or snack or cover in taco fixings to make Navajo tacos!
Navajo tacos are an easy family dinner recipe that everyone loves. The Indian fry bread has a crispy on the outside and soft on the inside texture that makes a different kind of base for tacos, which is much more delicious than regular taco shells or tortillas.
This Navajo fry bread recipe is easy to make traditionally according to our recipe below, but if you’re in a big hurry, you can make these even faster by rolling out Grands biscuits and frying according to the recipe instead of making your own dough from scratch.
Once you make the Indian fry bread recipe, you can make fry bread tacos by topping with your favorite taco ingredients.
Here are some things you might like to include when you make the Navajo tacos recipe:
- Taco seasoned ground beef
- Taco seasoned chicken
- Pot roast or pulled pork
- Black beans or pinto beans
- Refried beans
- Your preferred shredded cheese – Mexican blend, Cheddar, Asiago, etc.
- Sour cream
- Lettuce, green leaf, iceberg or romaine
- Chopped tomatoes
- Salsa – We prefer pico de Gallo salsa
- Black olives
- White onions, chopped
- Green onions or red onions, chopped (especially on top to add to the color)
- Anything else you can think of that might go well with tacos
In addition to the tacos, you can use the Indian fry bread to make other kinds of sandwiches and treats, so don’t be afraid to experiment!
Navajo Fry Bread Recipe
- Author: Tawra Kellam
- Yield: 6 servings
4 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup milk
oil for frying
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Stir in the water and milk.
- Knead several times.
- Roll out into 5-inch circles.
- Make a small hole in the center with your fingers.
- In a skillet, fry in several inches of hot oil at 375°.
- The dough will puff and bubble.
- Turn when golden brown.
- Drain the Indian fry bread on paper towels and serve hot for tacos or with honey. Serves 6.
This Navajo Tacos Fry Bread Recipe is from Volume 1 of our Cookbook:
Click here to get our Dining On A Dime Cookbooks, with tasty recipes and great tips to make your life easier and save you money!
If You Like This Navajo Fry Bread Recipe, You Might Also Like:
Navajo Fry Bread Recipe – Quick and Easy Version
From: JO ANN G.
I was in a rush this evening, so I thought I would use Grand biscuits, instead of making the version of the Navajo tacos fry bread you included here. I just rolled out the Grands biscuits with a rolling pin, put a small hole in the middle and followed the rest of the recipe. My family loves it!
We also had fried apples for dessert, and I crushed up some homemade (plain)granola bars on it. It was YUMMY!
Thank you so much for a wonderful site to explore new recipes and tips for living on a dime!