I found this recipe while searching for dump and bake casseroles. It’s also super easy. I ate it on top of lettuce. It’s quite a filling meal whether for lunch or dinner.
One Pot Burrito Bowls by Happy Go Lucky
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
- 1/2 green pepper
- 1/2 sweet onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can tomatoes with green chiles
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup minute brown rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cheese*
- optional toppings – tortilla chips, salsa, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, green onions, jalapenos
*to make dairyfree, skip the cheese
How I deviated from the original recipe?
I didn’t put green peppers.
I substituted the can of tomatoes and green chilis with about half a cup of salsa.
I didn’t use any cheese.
I used 1 cup basmati rice cooked in the rice cooker instead of instant rice.
I used 2 cubes of chicken bouillon with 2 cups of water instead of the chicken broth.
I used a whole packet of taco seasoning. It’s so hard to store a half packet of taco seasoning.
- If you’re not using instant rice, cook the cup of rice on the stove or in the rice cooker. Get that started before anything.
- Thaw the ground turkey and put in a large pot with the minced garlic and onions.
- After the rice and ground turkey are done, combine them in the pot along with the rest of the ingredients. I only had creamed corn, so I drained and rinsed it in the strainer.
- Simmer on medium to low until water is cooked down somewhere between 20 and 40 minutes.
- Serve however you want with lettuce, wraps, or just in bowls.
The End Result?
It’s great. This is such an upgrade from just plain taco meat. It is more filling and still healthy! My toddler likes this too!